On Aug. 10, 2016, at about midnight, a massive boom was heard near the intersection of Flower Avenue and Piney Branch Road. A gas leak at the Flower Branch apartments caused a massive explosion and fire. Seven residents died in the inferno, including the temporary guardians of a 16-year-old exchange student who had just arrived that very day from Ethiopia. Senior Editor Eric Bond interviews with Bitseat Getaneh, along with neighbor extraordinaire Sara Mussie.
Here is a link to Bitseat’s GoFundMe page to help her get her life back on track: www.gofundme.com/Bitseat.