KIDS’ VOICE — Author Mary Amato contributes this recipe (also available on her website, maryamato.com), inspired by her new book,”Invisible Lines.” The main character, Trevor, becomes a mushroom expert to impress a science teacher at his new school.
Mushroom burgers for one
- First, assemble all the main ingredients: Mushrooms, olive oil, egg, breadcrumbs, and feta cheese.
- Preheat a toaster oven to 400° F.
- Chop and sauté mushrooms (one large portabella or a half-dozen small button mushrooms) in olive oil. Let them cool slightly.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, beat an egg and add ¼ cup of breadcrumbs and any seasonings you like. Add the mushrooms to the egg mixture; add 2 oz of crumbled feta cheese and mix. Form this mix into two patties.
- Place the patties on a well-oiled baking pan. Bake them in the toaster oven for 10 minutes and then flip and bake for 7 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and a splash of hot sauce.