IMAGE: Dorothy Barnes – in red sweater – is honored at the dedication of Dorothy’s Woods. Photo by Jack Carson.
OCT 28—The Takoma Park city council officially named the wooded lot behind the former Washington-McLaughlin Christian School “Dorothy’s Woods” in honor of Dorothy Barnes, who lived next to the woods most of her 94 years. The dedication of Dorothy’s Woods was held Oct. 23.
Barnes has been a valued source of historical information for the city. At its Sept. 14 meeting, the council turned the request over to the city’s Commemoration Commission, which quickly approved the proposal. The city council passed a resolution Sept. 28 naming the woods.
Mayor Kate Stewart reads the resolution dedicating the woods. Photo by Jack Carson.
Ms Barnes, who sold her house last year and moved to assisted living in Rockville, attended the dedication where Mayor Kate Stewart presented her a copy of the resolution.
In her Sept. 15 Tales of Takoma column Diane Kohn wrote “Dorothy Thomsen Barnes was born in 1922, soon after her parents bought a small house at 419 Elm Avenue. Dorothy and her friends grew up playing in the woods behind their house. She described those years in an oral history recorded in 2001.
The Mayor, former mayor Bruce Williams, city councilmembers and residents at the dedication ceremony. Photo by Jack Carson.
“’We raced and ran through the woods behind our houses. We walked to school through a meadow of daisies and grasses and little tiny trees. Now it’s a wooded area, of course, with houses built after they cut [Woodland Avenue ]through.;”